Herman Miller Authorised Refurbishment Partner – Dealer FAQs
Crown Workspace are an ‘Authorised Refurbishment Partner’ for the Herman Miller brand in UK and Ireland. This industry-leading partnership helps Herman Miller and you, their dealers, to play a part in addressing the climate emergency and helps futureproof your businesses.
Crown Workspace has been selected in recognition of our expertise in sustainable furniture services. We have been refurbishing and repairing Herman Miller furniture since 2011 and are delighted to supporting you with this market leading solution that keeps Herman Miller’s high-quality products in use for as long as possible.
About the partnership
- Why do we need this partnership?
- Why Crown Workspace?
- What does this partnership mean?
- Won’t it impact the quantity of new furniture we sell?
- Are Crown Workspace acting as a Herman Miller dealer?
About the benefits
- What are the benefits for dealers?
- What are the benefits for your clients?
- What are the benefits for Crown?
About the solutions
- Can all Herman Miller products be refurbished by Crown?
- Where is furniture refurbished?
- How do you donate furniture?
- What is the lead time?
- How do you report back?
- What else does Crown Workspace do?
Working with Crown Workspace
About the partnership
Why do we need this partnership?
The effects of climate change are being felt across the world. Businesses and individuals are taking steps to reduce their impact on the planet and this is influencing what products they buy and who they buy them from. As a result of this, many of you are being asked to provide clients with a more sustainable way to buy furniture. This partnership helps you to achieve this by supporting you with market leading solutions that will help you retain these clients and futureproof your business.
It also helps Herman Miller and you, as their dealers, play your part in addressing the climate emergency. Crown Workspace will be working with Herman Miller as they progress their journey towards sustainability and a truly circular approach to their business.
Why Crown Workspace?
Crown Workspace was chosen for this industry-leading partnership due to our longstanding reputation in office furniture remanufacturing and refurbishment, our unrivalled expertise and our ability to complement existing dealer partnerships. We have been successfully delivering sustainable workplace services for over a decade and are fully aware of the challenges and rewards that a more sustainable approach to business brings. We also understand the issues your clients face beyond the sustainability agenda. As a result, our sustainable workplace solutions don’t only provide the best financial, environmental and social outcomes for furniture, IT and equipment but also meet clients’ timescales, budgets and priorities.
Our award-winning services can help your clients meet their sustainability targets, whatever these are. They may simply aim to reduce their environmental impacts, provide social value, or achieve financial benefits. Or they may be more ambitious with targets around moving towards a circular office, reducing scope 3 emissions, achieving net-zero targets, or contributing towards UN Sustainable Development Goals.
What does this partnership mean?
The partnership will enable Crown Workspace to offer Herman Miller dealers and clients a range of sustainable services to help reduce the environmental and social impact of their furniture requirements. It helps keep items in use for longer, ensures they are reused where viable, and that they are recycled responsibly when they truly reach their end-of-life. This approach is in line with the waste hierarchy as detailed below:
Herman Miller dealers are increasingly being asked to support their clients with a more sustainable way to buy furniture, whether that means diverting existing furniture to charities or refurbishing existing items of Herman Miller furniture to complement an order of new.
Won’t it impact the quantity of new furniture we sell?
There will always be a demand for new furniture, it is very much a part of a sustainable furniture service. With clients increasingly looking for more circular solutions dealers can now offer clients sustainable refurbished items of furniture to compliment new items they require to meet their changing requirements. The partnership may also help you deepen relationships through ongoing furniture maintenance and expand your service offering. It may also help you attract different clients that are attracted to this new, more sustainable furniture solution.
Are Crown Workspace acting as a Herman Miller dealer?
Definitely not – Crown Workspace are not dealers for new Herman Miller office furniture and products. We trade furniture as part of our sustainable clearance offering and resell refurbished office furniture, including refurbished Herman Miller products via www.officeresale.co.uk. As a leading workplace change service supplier supporting organisations relocating or refurbishing their workspace, we support clients who have a need to procure new furniture. This may mean our project managers procure furniture on behalf of a client ready to install as part of a move or change, or we introduce clients to furniture dealers (like you) who can support their requirements for new furniture. Crown will be well placed to introduce Herman Miller dealers to projects requiring new furniture and this will be done in liaison with the Herman Miller team.
About the benefits
What are the benefits for dealers?
Crown can provide competitive proposals for dealers so they can strengthen the sustainability of their client offering. This can include:
- Clearance audit – we will audit a client’s office and provide a comprehensive sustainable clearance that directs items into reuse prior to recycling.
- Resale – we can offer competitive rebates on all branded office furniture that we believe has an economic value as part of a sustainable clearance.
- Donation – Our Giving Back Project works with over 100 schools, charities and social enterprises and can help facilitate the donation of any items of redundant office furniture and IT.
- Refurbishment and remanufacture –From our award winning Renew Centre we can refurbish or remanufacture items of Herman Miller furniture on behalf of dealers. As an Authorised Refurbishment Partner, we can guarantee that all parts used will be genuine Herman Miller parts and that processes meet our service quality agreement standards. This ensures that all industry standards, environmental and quality claims of Herman Miller furniture can be maintained for the dealers.
- Recycling and recovery – for all items that have no economic or social value we will manage the removal of Herman Miller parts for spares prior to sending items for recycling, items that cannot be recycled will be sent for energy recovery.
- Sustainable reporting – Herman Miller dealers will be supplied with key statistics relating to the carbon equivalent savings from furniture reuse and refurbishment, with certificates of thanks and details of social value savings from the donation of assets via The Giving Back Project.
These services are fully accessible for all dealers, as needed, helping you build value into, and deepen, your relationships with your clients, through a wider service spectrum. We can also support you and your clients with additional services including move management, relocation services, office refurbishment, storage, IT relocation and end of life services.
What are the benefits for your clients?
Your clients can now work with you, as their Herman Miller dealer, not only for all their new furniture requirements but also for their refurbishment or end of life requirements. Clients will be saving money and reducing carbon emissions whilst supporting wider society.
They can also be confident that by purchasing Herman Miller furniture refurbished by Crown Workspace – an ‘Authorised Refurbishment Partner’ – they are buying furniture that has been professionally refurbished or remanufactured with genuine spare partsto the highest of industry standards. There are many Herman Miller products in the second-hand market place, not all of these will have been refurbished to the highest of standards and not all using genuine parts. This means that the performance, safety and environmental standards of such models are not guaranteed. Indeed, there are many cheap replica Herman Miller parts in the marketplace. Your clients can be confident that by purchasing refurbished Herman Miller furniture through you, they are buying furniture that has been professionally refurbished or remanufactured with genuine spare partsin accordance with the highest industry standards.
What are the benefits for Crown?
To date, we have invested over £1m in our Renew Centre which employs a team of fulltime, and are dedicated to supporting the circular economy through our services. By working with Herman Miller and their dealers, we can secure the supply chain for parts, differentiate our refurbished products in the marketplace through our approved parts and processes, and expand and optimise our operations.
About the solutions
Can all Herman Miller products be refurbished by Crown?
The majority of products can be refurbished. We have successfully been remanufacturing Herman Miller furniture for many years and have worked with the full range of products. We will also seek to carry out trials for any new products that we have not previously worked on.
Where is furniture refurbished?
Crown will refurbish all Herman Miller furniture at our award-winning Renew Centre, the UK’s leading facility dedicated to remanufacturing, refurbishing and repairing desks, chairs and other office furniture. Our 5,000 square feet of remanufacturing space houses high specification machinery, including two industrial CNC machines, an edge bander and lifting system. We employ a growing team trained in a variety of areas of expertise including upholstery, metal spraying, CNC operation, carpentry, CAD design and planning, and furniture fitting.
Our extensive office furniture remanufacturing services include remodelling of office desk tops, desktop production, chair refurbishment, chair respraying, acoustic screen and notice board refurbishment, specialist remanufacturing and remodelling, and cleaning and repair. Items can be returned to ‘as good as new’ condition and remanufactured to meet new working requirements, extending the lifespan of existing furniture assets.
Between 2014 and 2020, we remanufactured and refurbished over 43,000 desks, chairs and other office furniture at the Renew Centre delivering a total saving of 2,700 tonnes of CO2(e).
How do you donate furniture?
Donations are made through our established donation initiative, the Giving Back Project, which we run as part of our sustainable clearance service. We make it easy for your clients to donate unwanted office furniture without creating further work for you or them. We take the unwanted furniture and liaise with charity partners to ensure products continue to have a social value and reach those in need to:
- Support the most vulnerable in our society
- Help the disadvantaged to help themselves
- Improve the environment
- Support education projects in local schools
Since 2011, we have aided the donation of over 20,000 items of furniture.
What is the lead time?
With the expertise and depth in our workforce and our substantial stock of parts, we can work to clients’ programmes on refurbishment projects and keep lead times to a minimum. The exact timeframe will depend on the quantity and work involved but as a guide, refurbishing 50 chairs can be achieved within as little as two weeks if required.
Lead times on clearances will depend very much on the size of the project. We have the resources to complete clearances of any size within realistic timeframes.
We will respond to all enquiries within 24 hours and would usually turn all quotes around within 48 hours.
How do you report back?
We provide full audit trails, including compliance documentation for all waste transfers. We can provide your clients with a full and comprehensive client savings report outlining the project savings from reuse, resale and rebates, their donations and the charities they have supported, and the carbon savings achieved by using our services. Our fully documented process and robust measurement of the savings achieved provides the evidence needed to demonstrate achievement of sustainability goals and carbon emissions reduction as well as compliance.
What else does Crown Workspace do?
As a leading workplace change service provider and part of global logistics company Crown Worldwide Group (link) to CWG, Crown Workspace supports clients’ workplace needs as they change and grow. As well as our sustainable furniture solutions, our services also include:
- Covid-19 return to work services – whether it’s changing the workspace, protecting employees on their return to the workplace or facilitating longer-term home working, we can support your clients with their return to the office.
- Commercial and specialist relocations – We provide securely delivered services for all types of organisation including planning, implementation, project management and post-move support for all furniture, filing, IT equipment and specialist items.
- Moves and changes – We support dynamic workplace change through our comprehensive churn and on-site support services, from space planning, porterage and furniture fitting through to event set-up, IT installations and furniture repair.
- IT services – We provide professional IT support services for those moving or changing their IT systems, servers, or data centres, or seeking additional support with IT projects such as software roll-outs or secure end-of-life solutions.
- Interior design & fit-out – We provide an extensive range of interior solutions including refurbishment, mechanical and electrical works, dilapidations and reinstatement works, and reactive and planned maintenance.
- Storage solutions – We provide a responsive, secure and competitive solution for all your clients’ items, including containerised and racked storage as well as enhanced options for high-value items.
Working with Crown Workspace
How do I find out more?
We will arrange a one-to-one meeting to discuss the partnership with you, further outline the benefits and address any queries you might have. If you would like to find out more about Crown Workspace in the meantime, please visit our website at www.crownworkspace.com/uk.
If you have an urgent enquiry, please contact our Furniture Consultant Neil Drewett (email@example.com).
What is the process for dealing with enquiries?
If Crown receives the enquiry for new furniture from a client, we will liaise with Herman Miller to introduce our client to the most appropriate dealer.
If a Herman Miller Dealer receives an enquiry regarding purchasing or pricing of refurbished Herman Miller furniture, refurbishing existing products, or require additional support for other Crown services, please contact our Furniture Consultant Neil Drewett (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will deal with the enquiry or pass it to an appropriate colleague.